How to Make Mountain Dew Glow In The Dark? (Mountain Dew Glow Stick)
All sorts of rumors are circulating on the internet about ways to make glow in the dark mountain dew. Some say that adding baking soda and hydrogen peroxide will make a mt dew glow. Other people say that adding Starbursts candies will do the work. Still, unfortunately, none of these rumors are true.
The rumors have most likely originated from a 2008 Youtube video, which outlines how to make mountain dew glow with the following easy recipe:
1. Pour out 3/4 of dew from the bottle.
2. Add a little baking soda to the bottle.
3. Put in three caps of Hydrogen Peroxide.
4. Shake everything together.
It's pretty clear that this video is staged, and the one key element not shown in the footage was most likely a glow stick.
How to make Mountaindew glow Using A Glow Stick
Fortunately, there is a way to make glow in the dark mountain dew (or - mountain dew glow stick) that actually works! To learn how to make mountain dew glow at home, follow these simple steps:
- A Mountain Dew.
- One glow stick.
- Scissors or pliers.
- Baking soda.
- Dishwashing liquid.
- Hydrogen peroxide (optional).
1. Empty the mountain dew from the bottle
The more glow liquid inside the bottle, the more glow sticks you will need to use. For example, one glow stick is generally used per 10mm of mountain dew. So if you want a bottle full of liquid that will glow, you will need to use several glow sticks.
2. Break the glow stick/s and pour the liquid into the bottle
The easiest way to do this is by breaking open the end of your glow stick with a pair of scissors or pliers. Then slowly pour the glow stick liquid into the bottle. Be careful, as the contents might be sticky or gooey.
3. Add about 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda.
Sprinkle a little baking soda into the bottle. This will provide some extra luminescence to your mountain dew glow in the dark.
4. Add a few drops of dishwashing liquid.
Adding a glow stick to the mt dew won't work very well and won't make the mountain dew glow bright enough. The critical ingredient is dishwashing liquid. So add a squirt of dishwashing liquid to your bottle, and shake it vigorously until everything is mixed together.
5. Optional: Add some hydrogen peroxide for even more glow
Finally, if you want your mountain dew to glow in the dark with an extra bright glow, you can add some hydrogen peroxide to the bottle. Just shake well for a few minutes and watch your dew glow!
6. Charge the bottle
To fully charge your mountain dew, place the bottle in a sunny spot or under a lamp for 30-60 minutes. Once charged, you can turn off the light and watch the glow.
7. Safety precautions
Never drink the liquid, as it could be poisonous. Please don't put the bottle where someone might accidentally pick it up and consume it.
What can you use instead of a glow stick?
To create the brightest glow effect, use phosphorescent powder. A neon highlighter or other similar liquid, such as glow in the dark paint, will also work if you don't have any on hand.
The science behind why this recipe works
It is pretty complex and involves several different chemical reactions. It starts with the glow stick, made using a mix of chemicals, including hydrogen peroxide, phenol, dye, and an active ingredient called luminol.
When the glow stick is broken open or activated, the ingredients inside react together to produce a bright blue light. This is what makes the Mountain Dew glow in the dark.
Baking soda and dishwashing liquid are vital ingredients, promoting an even dispersion of the glow juice. This results in a longer-lasting luminescence. Remember that you need direct sunlight or artificial light to charge your glowing mountain dew!
3 tips to make your mountain dew glow even more!
If you want to increase the glow, try the following tips:
1. When choosing glow sticks, opt for ones with a solid color rather than a mix of colors, resulting in brighter and more uniform lighting.
2. To create the brightest glow possible, use phosphorescent powder or other additives to increase luminescence.
3. To get the most out of your glowing mountain dew, charge it in a bright, sunny location or under artificial bright light. This will ensure that the glow lasts longer and is brighter than ever!
4. Try using a black light. These unique lights are designed to specifically activate the luminescent chemicals in glow sticks and other glowing materials so that they emit an exceptionally bright light. To use a black light with your glowing mountain dew, turn on the blacklight and place your bottle under it for a few minutes. This will charge the dew with an incredibly bright glow, perfect for parties or other fun events!
Whether you want to make glowing drinks for a party or enjoy the ethereal beauty of a bottle of glowingly charged mountain dew, this recipe is sure to please. So why not grab some ingredients and start making your glowing beverages today?